American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An arboreal anthropoid ape (Pongo pygmaeus) of Borneo and Sumatra, having a shaggy reddish-brown coat, very long arms, and no tail.
- n. An arboreal anthropoid ape genus Pongo consisting of two species, Pongo pygmaeus of Borneo and Pongo abelii of Sumatra, having a shaggy reddish-brown coat, very long arms, and no tail.
- n. large long-armed ape of Borneo and Sumatra having arboreal habits
- Malay orang ("person", "man") + hutan ("forest") "forest man". The name "orang utan (sic)" appears to have been bestowed by Europeans. The indigenous name given to the apes Pongo pygmaeus and Pongo abelii by locals historically was mawas. (Wiktionary)
- Malay orang hutan : orang, man + hutan, wilderness, jungle. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“While many believe the term orangutan is a reference to its orange or light red hair, this actually isn't the correct etymology.”
“The orangutan is a Convention on International Trade of Endangerd Species (CITES) I species and was added to the U.S.”
“Conservatives (sic) predict without immediate action, the orangutan could be the first great ape to become instinct in the wild.”
“One of my top priorities was to pay another visit to Asia's only great ape, the orangutan, which is endemic to Borneo and the Indonesian island of Sumatra.”
“The rate of deforestation and habitat loss is so great that some scientists are predicting that the orangutan will be the first great ape to go extinct in modern times.”
“Yet the orangutan is a creature who lives alone, seeking out others only to mate--but their fur is an unattractive shade of orange, and they shit at unfortunate times when you visit them at the zoo.”
“The sighting of an "orangutan" or some other odd critter in Baker County, FL, has brought out more witnesses.”
“A Florida Fish & Wildlife investigator thinks the "orangutan" seen in Baker County was just an orange-phase fox squirrel.”
“There have been sightings of an "orangutan" around Glen St. Mary, Florida, a small Baker County town along the northern border of the state.”
“The vast tracts of montane forest still remain undisturbed and therefore still support some of the larger megafauna such as orangutan and Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘orangutan’.
words from a novel by mark haddon
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
Herein are listed words with oddball spellings and words whose pronunciation does not reflect the spelling.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
bumwank, calamity, recalcitrant, gayenese, jeeze, nonsense, flabbergasted, juxtapose, procrastinating, ossanity, biffing, loser and 1972 more...
Words that have funny meanings or are just fun to say.
Animals and birds of nations and states. Also see Stately Plants
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for orangutan.