from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A decorative structure or an ornamental panel situated above a mantelpiece.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A decorative structure, usually plasterwork or carved wood, and sometimes containing a mirror, over a mantelpiece
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In furniture-making, the frame of shelves, decorative panels, or the like, often including a mirror, which covers the chimney-breast above the mantelshelf.
- Placed over the shelf of a mantel, or prepared to be so placed: said of a painting, a carved panel, or the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shelf over a mantelpiece
Sorry, no etymologies found.