from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To be more than a match for; exceed or defeat.
- transitive v. To match with a superior opponent.
- n. A contest in which one opponent is distinctly superior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A match in which one opponent is very superior to the other
- v. To match more than intended
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To be more than equal to or a match for; hence, to vanquish.
- transitive v. To marry (one) to a superior.
- n. One superior in power; also, an unequal match; a contest in which one of the opponents is overmatched.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To be more than a match for; oppose with superior force, numbers, skill, etc.; surpass; outdo: commonly in the past participle.
- To give in marriage above one's station.
- n. One who or that which is more than a match; one who or that which is too powerful, skilful, difficult, etc., to be overcome.
over- + match (Wiktionary)