from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or formed of minute separate particles.
- n. A minute separate particle, as of a granular substance or powder.
- n. Particulate matter. Often used in the plural: diesel particulates; a high level of atmospheric particulates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Composed of separate particles.
- adj. Pertaining to heritable characteristics which are attributable discretely to either one or another of an offspring's parents, rather than a blend of the two.
- n. Any solid or liquid in a subdivided state, especially one that exhibits special characteristics which are negligible in the bulk material
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To particularize.
- adj. Having the form of a particle.
- adj. Referring to, or produced by, particles, such as dust, minute germs, etc.
- adj. Composed of particles; finely divided.
- n. Matter composed of particles; -- often used in the pl..
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make mention singly.
- To particularize; mention.
- Having the form of a small particle; taking the form of particles.
- Of or pertaining to particles; produced by particles, as minute germs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. composed of distinct particles
- n. a small discrete mass of solid or liquid matter that remains individually dispersed in gas or liquid emissions (usually considered to be an atmospheric pollutant)
From Latin particula, a small part; see particle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin particulatus, from Latin particula. (Wiktionary)