from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various stout flightless marine birds of the family Spheniscidae, of cool regions of the Southern Hemisphere, having flipperlike wings and webbed feet adapted for swimming and diving, and short scalelike feathers that are white in front and black on the back.
- n. Obsolete The great auk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nun (because of the black and white habit).
- n. A type of catch where the palm of the hand is facing towards the leg with the arm stretched downward, resembling the flipper of a penguin.
- n. A spiny bromeliad with egg-shaped fleshy fruit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any bird of the order Impennes, or Ptilopteri. They are covered with short, thick feathers, almost scalelike on the wings, which are without true quills. They are unable to fly, but use their wings to aid in diving, in which they are very expert. See King penguin, under jackass.
- n. The egg-shaped fleshy fruit of a West Indian plant (Bromelia Pinguin) of the Pineapple family; also, the plant itself, which has rigid, pointed, and spiny-toothed leaves, and is used for hedges.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The great auk, Alca impennis; the original sense.
- n. Any species of the family Spheniscidæ or Aptenodytidæ. (See Spheniscidæ for technical characters.)
- n. The wild pineapple, Bromelia Pinguin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. short-legged flightless birds of cold southern especially Antarctic regions having webbed feet and wings modified as flippers
Second to the penguin is the kelp gull Larus dominicanus with 6,000 active nests.
Mario Bros., including Mario in penguin suit, amigurumi by Mindy, who has various items on sale at Etsy.
Monday, June 22 2009 club penguin is sooooooooooooo much better than Free Reals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The royal penguin is the largest known species of penguin.
Maggie's new penguin is made in the USA by workers at Opportunity Threads, a 100% worker-owned cooperative in
Berkeley Breathed explains how a certain penguin was able to deflect criticism and controversy.
The outer shape apparently evolved before some microscopic changes that may play a role in penguin's underwater prowess.
The party penguin is starting the party up a little late due to a hectic day of work and then a sushi party for the Chicago Abortion Fund.
Darwin, the little paper penguin is probably the easiest penguin papercraft to assemble.
The Galapagos penguin is the only species that lives north of the equator, and that is only because Isabella Island, one of the Galapagos Islands where the species lives and breeds, lies partially north of the equator.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.