from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An annual Asian plant (Perilla frutescens) having opposite leaves, a bell-shaped calyx, and flowers with a short, white, tubular corolla. It is widely cultivated as an ornamental and for its oily seeds.
- n. The oil from the seeds of this plant, widely used in the manufacture of paint, varnish, and artificial leather and as a substitute for linseed oil.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The plant shiso
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of labiate herbs, of which one species (Perilla ocimoides, or Perilla Nankinensis) is often cultivated for its purple or variegated foliage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of annual herbs of the order Labiatæ, tribe Satureineæ, and subtribe Menthoideæ, known by the four perfect didynamous stamens, the reticulated nutlets, and the declined two-lipped fruiting calyx.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small genus of Asiatic herbs
New Latin, genus name.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
New Latin (Wiktionary)