from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wig, especially a peruke.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. wig
- v. To dress with a periwig, or with false hair; to bewig.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A headdress of false hair, usually covering the whole head, and representing the natural hair; a wig.
- transitive v. To dress with a periwig, or with false hair.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as peruke.
- n. In zoology, a periwinkle.
- To dress with a periwig; hence, to put a head-dress upon; cover or dress the head of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a wig for men that was fashionable in the 17th and 18th centuries
By folk etymology from Old French perruque; see peruke.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Alteration of French perruque. Compare peruke, wig. (Wiktionary)