from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who presses clothes.
- n. Any of various devices that apply pressure to a product in manufacturing or canning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A press release
- n. A press conference or press briefing.
- n. A person or device that removes wrinkles, usually from clothing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, presses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which presses. Especially
- n. One who works a press of any kind.
- n. In ceramics, the workman who molds the handles, ears, and decorative reliefs to be applied to a pottery vessel before firing.
- n. One who inculcates or enforces with argument or importunity.
- n. In machinery: In a knitting-machine, a bar which forces the barb of the needle into the groove of the shank to free the loop of yarn.
- n. In a sewing-machine, the presser-foot which holds the fabric under the needle. See cut under presser-foot.
- n. A form of ironing-machine.
- n. In spinning, the pressure-roller of a drawing-frame, or the spring-finger of a bobbin-frame.
- n. A part in a foundry molding-machine which presses down or rams the sand in the mold.
Meanwhile, the entire transcript of Clinton's 1994 presser is worth reading as a reminder of how little things change.
A presser is a good investment and a multipurpose tool
But please call your presser in front of a well manicured monument, with curtains … if you could.
By then ANYONE could see that the Clintons were going to let it go on and fan the flames, so the next day (finally! we all said), Obama calls a presser and puts a STOP to it.
Besides, the presser was a guaranteed mob scene, big as a presidential news conference, with risers for the camera crews and reporters from throughout the country.
The ECC says the presser will be a call for the suspension of all prosecutions under call-up laws, and 50 campers will be announcing their refusal to attend more camps.
The stated topic of the presser was the oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico.
Republican Congressional candidate Pat Meehan called a presser to link ...
ESPN's Andy Katz is reporting that Pitt has called a presser
That not criticizing ACC officials at a presser was a thing of beauty, and in the journalistic tradition of Edward Murrow.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.