from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Abnormal lowering or drooping of an organ or a part, especially a drooping of the upper eyelid caused by muscle weakness or paralysis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The prolapse of a bodily organ, especially drooping of the eyelid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Drooping of the upper eyelid, produced by paralysis of its levator muscle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A falling of the upper eyelid, or inability to raise it, due to paralysis of the levator palpebræ.
- n. A falling down or prolapse of any of the abdominal viscera. Also called Glenard's disease and enteroptosis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. drooping of the upper eyelid caused by muscle paralysis and weakness
Greek ptōsis, fall, from piptein, ptō-, to fall; see pet- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek πτωσις ("falling, a fall"). (Wiktionary)