from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Botany The part of a plant embryo that develops into a root.
- n. Anatomy A small structure, such as a fibril of a nerve, that resembles a root.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rudimentary shoot of a plant which supports the cotyledons in the seed, and from which the root is developed downward; the root of the embryo.
- n. A rootlet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The rudimentary stem of a plant which supports the cotyledons in the seed, and from which the root is developed downward; the stem of the embryo; the caulicle.
- n. A rootlet; a radicel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany:
- n. A rootlet: same as radicel.
- n. Specifically, same as caulicle: by late writers appropriately restricted to the rudimentary root at the lower extremity of the caulicle.
- n. In anatomy and zoology, a little root or root-like part; a radix: as, the radicles of a vein (the minute vessels which unite to form a vein); the radicle of a nerve.
- n. In philology, same as radical, 1.
- n. In chem., same as radical, 2.
- n. In the graptolites, the proximal extension of the virgula.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (anatomy) a small structure resembling a rootlet (such as a fibril of a nerve)
The round pointed projection was formerly called the radicle, but is now spoken of as the hypocotyl, because it grows below or under the cotyledons.
The tip of the radicle is a kind of brain to the whole growing part of the radicle!
Does that make me some kind of radicle denialist, sort of like your AAGW label?
This ridiculous "radicle" rant reveals its own radical irrelevance.
The strangest thing is that though her book focuses on the United States and seemingly ‘radicle’ right wingers I can see the things that she talks about.
I know, for those of you on the left this is probably one of the most radicle things you will ever hear and right now every fibre of your being is most likely being challenged. take a seat, have a drink of water but do us all a favour and engage your brain before you demand America cuts aid to Israel.
They are probably the most influential radicle Islam nation that is one of bush/carlyle groups best friends …
While I think that we should have used Iraq to help us attack iran and befriended saddam because he was not so radicle.
In the plant, the eye or germinative point opens to a leaf, then to another leaf, with a power of transforming the leaf into radicle, stamen, pistil, petal, bract, sepal, or seed.
Thus the main divisions of flowering plants are founded on differences in the embryo,- on the number and position of the cotyledons, and on the mode of development of the plumule and radicle.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.