from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal One who is known for achieving excellent results in a profession or field, such as business or politics.
- n. One who is believed to be capable of producing rain, as through magical or ritual actions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A native american medicine man who induces rain by rituals.
- n. A person who induces rainfall through scientific methods (i.e. silver iodide cloud seeding).
- n. An employee of a company who creates a large amount of unexpected business, consistently brings in money at critical times, or brings in markedly more money than his or her co-workers, thereby "floating their salaries".
- n. An investor in sick or start-up business ventures.
- n. (figurative) An executive or lawyer with exceptional ability to attract clients, use political connections, or increase profits, etc.
- n. A batted ball that is hit very high into the air.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. American Indian medicine man who attempt to make it rain
- n. executive who is very successful in bringing in business to his company or firm
Sorry, no etymologies found.