from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A strong snuff made from a dark, coarse tobacco.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dark, coarse, strongly flavored snuff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pungent kind of snuff made from the darker and ranker kinds of tobacco leaves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strong kind of snuff, coarser than maccouba, of either a black or a brown color, made from the darker and ranker kinds of tobacco-leaves.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. strong snuff made from dark coarse tobacco
From French (tabac) râpé, grated (tobacco), past participle of râper, to grate, from Old French rasper, to scrape; see rasp.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)