from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the head.
- adj. Located on, in, or near the head.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or referring to the head; headlike
- adj. Of, or pertaining to, the cephalon
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the head. See the Note under anterior.
- n. A medicine for headache, or other disorder in the head.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the head in any way.
- Situated or directed toward the head; connected with or constituting the front or fore part of a body or organ: opposed to caudal: as, the cephalic surface of the liver or diaphragm; the cephalic end of a vertebra; the cephalic segment of a centiped.
- In human anatomy, the bending of the head of the embryo forward or downward upon the trunk.
- n. A remedy for headache or other disorders in the head.
- n. In phonetics, a so-called ‘head’ or ‘cerebral’ sound.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the head
French céphalique, from Latin cephalicus, from Greek kephalikos, from kephalē, head; see ghebh-el- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French céphalique, from Latin cephalicus ("head"), from Ancient Greek κεφαλικός (kephalikos, "capital"), from κεφαλή (kephalē, "head"). (Wiktionary)