from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The natural formation in offspring of genetic combinations not present in parents, by the processes of crossing over or independent assortment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Combination a second or subsequent time.
- n. The formation of genetic combinations in offspring that are not present in the parents
- n. The reverse of dissociation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Combination a second or additional time.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (physics) a combining of charges or transfer of electrons in a gas that results in the neutralization of ions; important for ions arising from the passage of high-energy particles
- n. (genetics) a combining of genes or characters different from what they were in the parents
Sorry, no etymologies found.