from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The capacity for or tendency toward resistance.
- n. Electricity An intrinsic property of a material that is measured as its resistance to current per unit length for a uniform cross section.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In general, the resistance to electric current of a material. In particular, the degree to which a material resists the flow of electricity or heat.
- n. The reciprocal of conductivity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The power or property of resistance; capacity for resisting.
- n. In electricity, specific resistance; the resistance of a unit quantity of a substance, or of a sample of unit cross-section and unit length.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a material's opposition to the flow of electric current; measured in ohms
Sorry, no etymologies found.