from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports A tournament in which each contestant is matched in turn against every other contestant.
- n. A petition or protest on which the signatures are arranged in a circle in order to conceal the order of signing.
- n. A letter sent among members of a group, often with comments added by each person in turn.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tournament in which every player or team competes against each of the others in turn.
- n. A method of dividing loot amongst a party of players by having the game assign in turn loot to a player or an enemy corpse to loot to a player.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. The cigar fish.
- n. Any series or sequence of actions.
- n. A document circulated from one person to another in a group, often with comments added by each recipient.
- n. A petition or similar document, in which the signatures are arranged in circular form in order to conceal the order of signing.
- n. A tournament in which each contestant plays against every other contestant at least once; a failure to win any contest does not result in elimination from the tournament. Contrasted with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pancake.
- n. A kind of ruff, apparently the smaller ruff of the latter part of the sixteenth century.
- n. Same as cigar-fish.
- n. The angler, Lophius piscatorius.
- n. A written paper, as a petition, memorial, or remonstrance, bearing a number of signatures arranged in a circular or concentric form.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a letter signed by a number of people
- n. a tournament in which every contestant plays every other contestant
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.