from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that sequences, as:
- n. An electronic device or software program that can be instructed to order and modify digitally stored musical sounds for playback, as through a synthesizer.
- n. An apparatus for determining the order of constituents in a biological polymer, usually DNA or protein. In this sense also called sequenator.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any device that activates or deactivates the components of a machine or system according to a preplanned sequence (as in a washing machine, or central heating system).
- n. A device or system that orders and/or modifies digitally stored music and sound for playback.
- n. A device for determining the sequence of monomers in a polymer, especially amino acids in protein, or bases in DNA.
- n. A control device to increase/decrease the capacity of plant that is enabled to act in a specific order or sequence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (chemistry) an apparatus that can determine the sequence of monomers in a polymer
- n. computer hardware that sorts data or programs into a predetermined sequence
sequence + -er (Wiktionary)