American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A feedback system that consists of a sensing element, amplifier, and servomotor, used in the automatic control of a mechanical device.
- n. A self-regulating feedback system or mechanism: "We do not need to know in detail how the minute chemical servomechanisms of the muscles operate in order to move our arms” ( Harper's).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. an electronically controlled mechanical or hydraulic device permitting a large action or strong forces to be controlled by a small electrical signal.
- n. control system that converts a small mechanical motion into one requiring much greater power; may include a negative feedback system
- servo(motor) + mechanism. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In just a split second the robots were reduced to a sparking pile of crushed and mangled components, the occasional twitching servomechanism the only indication of any life.”
“C. Shaw developed a sensing device, controlled by a servomechanism, for a milling machine.”
“Next, a somehow tired humming sound, as of a very old servomechanism being called into use one final time, began to whine its way into their ears.”
“The "Internet Dog Feeder" consists of an ioBridge and a continuously-rotating servomechanism controlled via a web interface consisting of a video camera that shows your dog's bowl and "Feed Dog" and "Stop Feeding Dog" hyperlinks.”
“But don’t sprain a servomechanism hurrying, old friend.”
“When a spaceship goes down to the Jovian surface, it's a radio-controlled job; it leaks like a sieve, to equalize pressure, but otherwise it's the sturdiest, most utterly powerful model ever designed; it's loaded with every instrument, every servomechanism, every safety device the human mind has yet thought up to protect a million-dollar hunk of precision equipment.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘servomechanism’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
For stuff to simply reside.
Looking for tweets for servomechanism.