American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A coating or plating of silver.
- n. Tableware, such as flatware or hollowware, made of or coated with silver.
- n. A thin layer of silver applied to the surface of an object made of another metal.
- v. alternative spelling of silver-plate.
- humorous Eye dialect spelling of s'il vous plaît.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. domestic utensils made of silver.
- n. tableware that is plated with silver
- n. a thin layer of silver deposited on something
- v. plate with silver
- v. plate with silver
- From "silver plate", from the similarity of this phrase to the French s'il vous plaît (Wiktionary)
“In the one camp the antique bronzes, gildings, and carvings of a bygone art were retained with pious veneration; in the other, pictures, carpets, Jacob chairs and sofas, mirrors, and time-pieces, and the gold and silver plate were all in lavish style, indicative of their owner's ampler means.”
“A little bell fixed to its collar tinkled annoyingly with its every movement, and next to this dangled a solid silver plate that confirmed the spelling of its name — pronounced, of course, exactly like "Fido.”
“Jones sent the silver plate to Selkirk’s sister-in-law in London and received a gracious reply from his lordship.”
“On a table he found a mother-of-pearl chest decorated with delicate silver vines and flowers of clustered rubies, and on the cover was a silver plate engraved with these words:”
“A further examination of this weapon discovered the initials of Lieut. Foster engraved in small German characters upon the silver plate on the handle, and there was no difficulty in proving it to be the weapon of Charley Foster.”
“a cutting from the Glasgow Chronicle which told of a piece of silver plate which might be seen at the shop of Mr. Alexander Mitchell, Jeweler, in Argyle Street.”
“From the time that men began to live in cities, trade, in some shape, must have been carried on to supply the town-dwellers with necessaries from foreign as well as native sources, for we find that Abraham was rich, not only in cattle, but in silver, gold and gold and silver plate and ornaments.”
‘silver plate’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for silver plate.