American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sebaceous secretion, especially the cheesy secretion that collects under the prepuce or around the clitoris.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A whitish sebaceous secretion that collects between the glans penis and foreskin or in the vulva.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The soapy substance covering the skin of newborn infants.
- n. The cheesy, sebaceous matter which collects between the glans penis and the foreskin.
- n. a white secretion of the sebaceous glands of the foreskin
- From Latin, from Ancient Greek σμῆγμα (smēgma), alternative spelling of σμῆμα (smēma, "soap, detergent"), from σμάω (smaō, "I wipe, clean"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin smēgma, detergent, from Greek, from smēkhein, to wash off. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I thought the use of the word smegma in conjunction with a fruit was odd, but he didn’t seem to be joking.”
“The smegma is collected until the wad is big enough to fashion into a shank or shiv.”
“Few outside of the health professions hear or use the word smegma in everyday conversation.”
“The bacteria, the skin cells, and the sebaceous matter together form a stinking mass called smegma.”
“And lastly, a tight foreskin is unhygienic and leads to the accumulation of a foul-smelling cheesy material (called smegma) underneath it.”
“Then she desired her not to be sparing with the 'smegma', -- [A material like soap, but used in a soft state.] -- and to wash her hair as thoroughly as possible.”
“The play's highlight may be Wickman's quick solo about things you cannot sell on eBay or his assertion that his wife's name is short for "smegma," but neither actor receives enough time on stage.”
“Your dreams are the stain on your subconscious left by all the smegma you have to wade through during the day.”
“There, on average, penile cancer constitutes 10 to 20 percent of all cancerous tumors among men.22 In Brazil, where hardly anyone is circumcised, the number of cases of penile cancer is seventy times as high as in Israel, where almost all men are circumcised.23 A doctor in a developing country wrote so graphically, “The specific irritant seems to be the pent-up smegma, caked and disintegrated.””
“This is an ideal feeding ground for the smegma bacillus Mycobacterium smegmatis and other pathogenic bacteria.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘smegma’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A compilation of those nitty-gritty yucky terms for substances and situations that we prefer not to encounter. Please folks, keep it clean; avoid the overly offensive ones.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Substances that accumulate on the human body, whether we want them to or not.
The worst of the bunch, bring um on
A list created for TRM, because there are certain words that we just kind of hate.
Words I find interesting.
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
originally started as an attempt to collect words I found visually and auditorially beautiful, as well as psychically evocative, this has become nothing more than a grab bag of word curiosities, a ...
Looking for tweets for smegma.