from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or characteristic of a sophomore.
- adj. Exhibiting great immaturity and lack of judgment: sophomoric behavior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, or characteristic of a sophomore
- adj. conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature
- adj. pretentious; inflated in style or manner
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a sophomore; resembling a sophomore; hence, pretentious; inflated in style or manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a sophomore or a sophomore class.
- Characteristic of the traditional sophomore; bombastic; inflated; conceited; complacently ignorant; immature and over-confident.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
To call the musical -- praised on its way to Broadway's Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre and additional kudos -- "sophomoric" is to flatter it.
To call Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson sophomoric is to flatter it.
South Carolina's governor is not confessing his "sins"; he's simply indulging himself in sophomoric, locker room bragging about his sexual exploits.
If you are in sales or marketing it is essential that you understand the nuance of language, and you probably think that you do, but consider the word sophomoric:
*********You’re a sophomoric idiot from the Greek word ‘idiotis’.
The vibe I got off of Gary--who, note, claims to be of the Left--is the same obnoxious one that drove me away from the Left in the States, namely the sophomoric insistence on the irrelevance of seemingly superficial differences.
The writing and dialogue can best be described as sophomoric but the issues that they confront are not shock tactics to gain notoriety or to make money.
Leading philosopher Alvin Plantinga argues that Dawkins forays into philosphy could be called sophomoric were it not a grave insult to most sophomores Michael O on Today, 10: 09 pm, edited 1 time in total. lax65 wrote: well im sure after 30 hail Mary's he will be all cured, right Christians?? isnt that it? just ask for forgiveness and all is forgiven right??
It will be so nice not to have to hear this kind of sophomoric crap anymore.
Choosing four more years of Bush-like policies to make some kind of sophomoric point is a disservice to your party.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.