American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or characteristic of a sophomore.
- adj. Exhibiting great immaturity and lack of judgment: sophomoric behavior.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a sophomore or a sophomore class.
- Characteristic of the traditional sophomore; bombastic; inflated; conceited; complacently ignorant; immature and over-confident.
- adj. of, relating to, or characteristic of a sophomore
- adj. conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature
- adj. pretentious; inflated in style or manner
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. United States Of or pertaining to a sophomore; resembling a sophomore; hence, pretentious; inflated in style or manner.
“To call the musical -- praised on its way to Broadway's Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre and additional kudos -- "sophomoric" is to flatter it.”
“To call Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson sophomoric is to flatter it.”
“South Carolina's governor is not confessing his "sins"; he's simply indulging himself in sophomoric, locker room bragging about his sexual exploits.”
“If you are in sales or marketing it is essential that you understand the nuance of language, and you probably think that you do, but consider the word sophomoric:”
“*********You’re a sophomoric idiot from the Greek word ‘idiotis’.”
“The vibe I got off of Gary--who, note, claims to be of the Left--is the same obnoxious one that drove me away from the Left in the States, namely the sophomoric insistence on the irrelevance of seemingly superficial differences.”
“The writing and dialogue can best be described as sophomoric but the issues that they confront are not shock tactics to gain notoriety or to make money.”
“Leading philosopher Alvin Plantinga argues that Dawkins forays into philosphy could be called sophomoric were it not a grave insult to most sophomores Michael O on Today, 10: 09 pm, edited 1 time in total. lax65 wrote: well im sure after 30 hail Mary's he will be all cured, right Christians?? isnt that it? just ask for forgiveness and all is forgiven right??”
“It will be so nice not to have to hear this kind of sophomoric crap anymore.”
“Choosing four more years of Bush-like policies to make some kind of sophomoric point is a disservice to your party.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sophomoric’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Words that I'll use to sound erudite.
List of most of the words I've learned
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
Words ending in ic, tic or nic.
Looking for tweets for sophomoric.