from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cluster of sporangia borne on the underside of a fern frond.
- n. A reproductive structure in certain fungi and lichens.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any reproductive structure, in some lichens and fungi that produces spores
- n. A cluster of sporangia on the edge or underside of a fern frond
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the fruit dots, or small clusters of sporangia, on the back of the fronds of ferns.
- n. In parasitic fungi, any mass of spores bursting through the epidermis of a host plant.
- n. In lichens, a heap of soredia on the thallus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a heap or aggregation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cluster of sporangia usually on underside of a fern frond
- n. a spore-producing structure in certain lichens and fungi
New Latin sōrus, from Greek sōros, heap; see teuə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)