from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A quadrilateral sail extended by a spar running diagonally to the sail's peak.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A form of three- or four-sided fore-and-aft sail and its rig, supporting the leech of the sail by means of a sprit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sail extended by a sprit.
- n. A sail formerly hung under the bowsprit, from the spritsail yard.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical:
- n. A sail extended by a sprit, chiefly used in small boats. See sprit, 3.
- n. A sail, no longer in use, attached to a yard slung across the bowsprit of large vessels.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fore-and-aft sail extended by a sprit
sprit + sail (Wiktionary)