from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Euphorbia, characteristically having milky juice and small unisexual flowers that are surrounded by a cuplike structure composed of fused bracts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any plant of the genus Euphorbia exuding a bitter milky juice which was formerly used as a purgative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To emit foam; to froth; -- said of the emission of yeast from beer in course of fermentation.
- n. Any plant of the genus Euphorbia. See euphorbia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To purge; cleanse; rid.
- To purge; froth; emit froth; especially, to work and cleanse itself, as ale.
- n. A plant of the genus Euphorbia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous plants of the genus Euphorbia; usually having milky often poisonous juice
Middle English, from Old French espurge, from espurgier, to purge (from its use as a purgative), from Latin expūrgāre; see expurgate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French espurge. (Wiktionary)