from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The academic environment, community, or world.
- n. Academic life.
- n. A place in which instruction is given to students.
- n. A scholar, especially a pedant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An academy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The grove and gymnasium near Athens where Plato taught; the Academy; figuratively, any place of similar character.
- n. Hence [lowercase] An academy; a place for philosophic and literary intercourse or instruction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the academic world
From Latin Acadēmīa, the Academy; see academy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)