from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A subsidiary or branch station, as of a post office or an electric utility.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A site where electricity supplied by long-distance (high-voltage) transmission lines is transformed and/or regulated for local (low-voltage) distribution.
- n. A satellite police station serving one neighborhood or part of a larger jurisdiction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A subordinate station: as, a police substation.
- n. A subsidiary station to supplement a main station.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a subsidiary station where electricity is transformed for distribution by a low-voltage network
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Everything at a substation is hot, in that shock the bejeezus out of you sense.
Maxwell said getting power to all residents attached to the substation is a priority above finding out the cause of the fire.
In March 2005, Halliburton subsidiary KBR announced that it had completed work on the Al Ameen substation, which is to supply up to 1,000 MW of power to Baghdad.
McManus said an officer at the substation was the one who brought the allegations to his attention after a woman complained to him about an officer assaulting her.
The substation was a half mile down Main Street, to the overhanging stoplight, a half block north after turning left, a freestanding single-story brick building about the size of a McDonald's.
Lobao, speaking at a news conference in Brasilia, said a failure at the substation was the probable cause of the blackout, but that he and other officials would meet next week and provide a detailed report within days.
Vostochnaya substation, which is not part of the company's network.
Relocation of the substation is a key milestone that will be coordinated with the retirement and demolition of the power plant once the
Iowa City Council's support for the substation is another good step toward demonstrating that the city cares about the low-income neighborhoods south of Highway 6.
Airport manager Steve Wilson said, "The substation will be a great asset to not only the airport but that end of the county as well."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.