from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A subsidiary or branch station, as of a post office or an electric utility.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A site where electricity supplied by long-distance (high-voltage) transmission lines is transformed and/or regulated for local (low-voltage) distribution.
- n. A satellite police station serving one neighborhood or part of a larger jurisdiction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A subordinate station: as, a police substation.
- n. A subsidiary station to supplement a main station.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a subsidiary station where electricity is transformed for distribution by a low-voltage network
Sorry, no etymologies found.