American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that sweeps.
- n. A carpet sweeper.
- n. Sports A lone defender who plays between the last line of defenders and the goal in some defensive configurations in soccer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which sweeps; a sweeping-machine.
- n. A tree growing on the margin of a stream, and overhanging the water at a sharp angle from the bank. It sometimes forms an excellent fishing-place.
- n. One who or that which removes the scale of protoxid of iron from any plate or beam or other piece of steel or iron undergoing the process of rolling in the rolling-mill. If this scale were left on the surface of the piece, being cooler and harder than the hot metal it would be rolled into the surface at the next pass, or make a blister or pock-mark. In older practice, the scale was swept off by twig-brooms or besoms: water currents are much used with larger masses.
- n. One who sweeps floors or chimneys
- n. A detector (for mines)
- n. A small, tropical marine perciform fish of the family Pempheridae, typically with deeply keeled, compressed bodies and large eyes.
- n. soccer A defender who is the last line of defence before the goalkeeper
- n. curling A person who sweeps the ice ahead of the rock in play.
- n. cricket A batsman who plays sweep shots
- n. cricket A fielding position along the boundary; a fielder in this position
- n. A tree that has fallen over a river with branches extending into the water.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, sweeps, or cleans by sweeping; a sweep.
- n. little-known nocturnal fish of warm shallow seas with an oblong compressed body
- n. a cleaning implement with revolving brushes that pick up dirt as the implement is pushed over a carpet
- n. an employee who sweeps (floors or streets etc.)
“This political season the money vacuum sweeper is working as hard as ever – pulling in cash for the conventions, the candidates, and the parties from the pockets of Democratic and Republican faithful.”
“Here the chimney sweeper is all alone, in a snowstorm — the snow already stained with the pollution from burning coal — perhaps homeless, covered head to foot in coal-soot; indeed, to enhance the effect of the image, it appears that Blake may have used some sort of coal mixture for his water-coloring, for the only real color in the plate is a rusty coal-oil brown.”
“We’ve gone through several vacuums in the years that we’ve had our animals and have found that the best sweeper is one that has a bag.”
“There is nothing about the private lives of the judges, and of the staff, down to the lowest sweeper, that is not to him incidental knowledge.”
“To call a sweeper and have me led away by one of these lizard-men?”
“I had a dream long ago about a "sweeper" who to me was such a model of domestic peace.”
“Caroline was observing with a 27-inch focal length Newtonian 'sweeper'.”
““Mothballed: Bomb 'sweeper' that could save our troops' lives scrapped due to lack of equipment””
“So developers built what we called a "sweeper" interface, where volunteers could clean up and weight what users were inputting into the system.”
“The "sweeper" plays like a free safety and is the last man before the goalie.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sweeper’.
Terms and phrases associated with the game and sport of curling.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
We get a lot of spam emails at Wordnik that fit this pattern: "Mr Bob Wilson here and i will like to know if you do have X for sale". The words on this list represent a subset of such requested items.
Cousins of the Grim Reaper.
Two-syllable words that begin with Re (not necessarily as a prefix) and end with R. Also, two-syllable words that rhyme with r...
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
Thinking of a better title. This list is about football/soccer. I don't want it to be simply a list of favourite players, clubs, etc. It's more about documenting key moments and concepts in the gam...
Looking for tweets for sweeper.