American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Casual mealtime conversation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Familiar conversation at or around a table, as at a meal or an entertainment; what is said in the free intercourse between persons during or after meals. Collections of the conversation of distinguished men at such times have been published under the title “Table-Talk.”
- n. idiomatic Conversation, especially of an informal or somewhat gossipy nature, among a group seated together for a meal or other social activity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. conversation at table, or at meals.
- n. conversation during a meal
“It was really an advantage not being able to follow the conversation, since it kept me busy catering for myself and at the same time making sure I met Meta’s glances to show proper appreciation; and anyway, when Wolfe reported later, he said the table talk was immaterial.”
“On Friday evenings he climbed to his roost very early, before the family assembled for supper, and waited for his cue, which was the breaking-out of table talk after the blessing of the bread.”
Looking for tweets for table talk.