American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A bitter, colorless alkaloid, C7H8N4O2, derived from the cacao bean, found in chocolate products and used in medicine as a diuretic, vasodilator, and myocardial stimulant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A crystalline alkaloid (C7H8N4O2), forming salts with acids, volatile and very bitter. In composition it is nearly related to thein or caffein. It is found in the seeds of Theobroma Cacao.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) An alkaloidal ureide, C7H8N4O2, homologous with and resembling caffeine, produced artificially, and also extracted from cacao and chocolate (from Theobroma Cacao) as a bitter white crystalline substance; -- called also
- From the genus Theobroma. (Wiktionary)
- New Latin Theobrōma, genus of trees (Greek theo-, theo- + brōma, food) + -ine2. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The biggie that most people have heard about is the caffeine relative called theobromine, which is the one usually shown on "I heart chocolate" tee-shirts, so that's a good place to start, with its trippy endorphins to create a pleasant buzz.”
“* Chocolate in any form is extremely toxic to man's best friend as it contains a harmful chemical called theobromine, which is fine for humans but is very dangerous for dogs”
“Chocolate is the richest known source of a little-known substance called theobromine, a close chemical relative of caffeine.”
“The stimulant theobromine, which is also a diuretic.”
“Chocolate contains the compound theobromine which is a diuretic as well as a cardiac stimulant.”
“The CEO stressed that theobromine which is a component found in cocoa serves as drug in the production and free flow of urine in cases in where accumulation of body fluids has resulted from heat failure.”
“Something called phosphodiesterase inhibitors or methylxanthines are found in coffee and theobromine which is in chocolate can impact on mood.”
“As a stimulant, chocolate's theobromine, historically used as an aphrodisiac, is a vasodilator, meaning it widens blood vessels, and is used to lower blood pressure.”
“Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine -- both mental stimulants -- phenylethylamine (PEA), which raises our blood pressure and heart rate, and tryptophan, which helps release serotonin (sugar also produces that effect).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘theobromine’.
words from a novel by mark haddon
Coffee has been in the news recently; several long-term studies have concluded coffee almost certainly helps prevent type 2 diabetes, liver disease, basal cell carcinoma and possibly Parkinson’s. ...
Words related to my favorite addiction, chocolate!
Indeed it is. Words related to chocolate production. :-)
Looking for tweets for theobromine.