American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The nail of the thumb.
- n. Computer Science A reduced image of a graphic or document page, used in order to view multiple images on a screen simultaneously or to download such images more rapidly.
- adj. Of, relating to, or of the size of a thumbnail.
- adj. Brief; cursory: a thumbnail biography.
- n. The fingernail on the thumb.
- n. A rough sketch (e.g., the size of one's thumbnail).
- n. A small picture, used as a compact representation of a larger image.
- v. transitive To describe concisely.
- n. the nail of the thumb
- thumb + nail. The phrase thumbnail sketch was first attested 1852. Verb sense attested 1930s. (Wiktionary)
“Worse, the color of the bar below a thumbnail is meaningless -- it is pulled from one of the colors used for the Web site's favicon and, otherwise, does not appear to convey any important technical information.”
“I find it easier to script if I draw everything out in thumbnail form first; the graphics hold together the flow of the story.”
“This will display the file size, for images, the dimensions, and for folders, the number of items inside below each in thumbnail view.”
“The new update optimises thumbnails — instead of irregular rectangles each thumbnail is a centre-cropped square for maximum thumbnails per page — enlarges images on a distraction free black background with auto-fading buttons, and supports a finger-friendlier interface that emphasises touch and swipe versus the tap-based interface of the old Google Images Search.”
“The second thumbnail from the bottom right is the CTA Bus Tracker that allows me to track mass transit in Chicago, specificly, my bus, just by hitting the refresh button.”
“Like many events sketched repeatedly in thumbnail fashion, the witch trials have become a caricature, a short-hand reference for fanaticism and the darker passages of America's colonial history.”
“This allows me to see the best photos first, in thumbnail view so I can review them quickly.”
“The images are available in thumbnail or high-resolution versions with significant metadata.”
“I really like the one with door and maze shaped as a skull. web thumbnail is my favorite giantyoda”
“After searching using any of the five methods, the result will be displayed in thumbnail format.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘thumbnail’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Any word or phrase with the letters n-a-i-l (in that order). Extra points for anything snaily.
Words heard in various REM songs that I enjoy and that I think are indicative of the band. Not too literally, of course.
Looking for tweets for thumbnail.