from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A single sharp crash of thunder.
- n. Something, such as a startling or shocking piece of news, that is similar to a crash of thunder in suddenness or violence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sudden thunder; a shock of thunder, as opposed to reverberating rumble
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sharp burst of thunder; a sudden report of a discharge of atmospheric electricity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A clap or burst of thunder; a sudden report of a discharge of atmospheric electricity; a thunder-peal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a single sharp crash of thunder
- n. a shocking surprise
thunder + clap (Wiktionary)