from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of transmuting; transformation.
- n. The state of being transmuted.
- n. Physics Transformation of one element into another by one or a series of nuclear reactions.
- n. The supposed conversion of base metals into gold or silver in alchemy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of transmuting or the state of being transmuted
- n. the supposed transformation of base metals into gold by the alchemists
- n. the transformation of one element into another by a nuclear reaction
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of transmuting, or the state of being transmuted.
- n. The change or reduction of one figure or body into another of the same area or solidity, but of a different form, as of a triangle into a square.
- n. The change of one species into another, which is assumed to take place in any development theory of life; transformism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of transmuting, or the state of being transmuted: change into another substance, form, or nature.
- n. In alchemy, the changing of baser metals into metals of greater value, especially into gold or silver.
- n. In geometry, the change or reduction of one figure or body into another of the same area or solidity but of a different form, as of a triangle into a square; transformation.
- n. In biology, the change of one species into another by any means; transpeciation; transformism. The history of the idea or of the fact runs parallel with that of transformism, from an early crude or vulgar notion akin to that involved in the alchemy of metals (see above) to the modern scientific conception of transmutation as an evolutionary process, or the gradual modification of one species into another by descent with modification through many generations.
- n. Successive change; alternation; interchange.
- n. Synonyms See transform, transitive verb
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (physics) the change of one chemical element into another (as by nuclear decay or radioactive bombardment)
- n. an act that changes the form or character or substance of something
- n. a qualitative change
Sorry, no etymologies found.