American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Division into three parts or elements.
- n. A system based on three parts or elements.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Division into three parts; specifically, in theot., division of human nature into body (soma), soul (psyche), and spirit (pneuma).
- n. Division or separation into three groups or pieces.
- n. algebra the following property of an order relation (e.g., "less than"): for any two elements (of a given algebraic structure) there are exactly three possibilities: either the first element is less than the second one, the second element is less than the first one, or the two elements are equal.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Division into three parts.
- n. being threefold; a classification into three parts or subclasses
- New Latin trichotomia : Greek trikha, in three parts; see trei- in Indo-European roots + New Latin -tomia, -tomy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Gilani said that his two-year-old government was following the principle of 'trichotomy' enshrined in the Constitution, which draws "red lines" about the spheres of parliament, executive and the judiciary.”
“Three Paths, indeed . . . and, yet, even that trichotomy seemed far too simple to truly explain it.”
“I would add another category to your dichotomy (trichotomy?) and that would be 'the street'.”
“POLITY codes this variable as a trichotomy, with 0 meaning that there is no legislature.”
“I thought the "trifling trichotomy" was kinda clever, too!”
“It is the relationship between the street thug, Arnold, and the siblings that awakens the sleeping racism within this trifling trichotomy.”
“So Hegel's trichotomy reveals itself to be inadequate, even if it was a useful point of departure.”
“As a point of departure only, I will lean on Hegel's trichotomy without thereby concurring with his application of it to specific philosophical questions.”
“Of course there are nuances - that's why they call it a political spectrum, not a political trichotomy - but the basic positions are clear enough.”
“It doesn't matter if you believe in a dichotomy, trichotomy or whatever, as long as you can acknowledge mind and emotions as part of the soul.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘trichotomy’.
What is this list about?
Interesting words in nature and natural science (in any language!).
What kind of words am I supposed to add?
You can add species names that you lov...
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
three; three parts
Looking for tweets for trichotomy.