- v. intransitive To show up; to appear suddenly or unexpectedly.
- v. transitive To increase the amount of something by means of a control, such as the volume, heat, or light.
- v. transitive To reposition by rotating, flipping, etc. upwards.
- v. transitive, nautical To belay or make fast a line on a cleat or pin.
- n. A stroke of good luck.
- v. be shown or be found to be
- v. discover the location of; determine the place of; find by searching or examining
- v. find by digging in the ground
- v. bend or lay so that one part covers the other
- v. appear or become visible; make a showing
“As he preceded her into the small parlor and reached to turn up the lamp she saw on his wrist and hand livid purple-brown bruises, as though impossibly powerful fingers had all but crushed the bones.”
“And the eurocracy prefers buying time in the Micawberish hope that something will turn up to keep Euroland from fracturing, rather than face reality.”
“In an effort to stop worrying, do we just manufacture some sort of emotionalized faith, quote some Bible verses, and turn up the “praise” music on the radio?”
“Harry Humphreys and Sam Hussey turn up on some Saturdays, while Joey Long debarks the logs.”
“He kept hoping it would turn up where the trees are regenerating, as in woods like Slough Grove.”
““If you were supervisor, and one of your CSIs was a former stock-car racer, and you had a case turn up at a speedway…who would you send?””
“• Girls and boys can go bare-bottomed all day during summer months and inside during the winter, if you turn up the heat.”
“Iturned off the phone and ordered Paula not to keep me posted on anything that Clara might turn up on the net.”
“That search did not turn up the bomb hidden in his ankle-high hiking boots and the next day Reid successfully boarded the same flight for Miami.”
“When Thomas made the effort to turn up the supernatural come-hither, women literally couldn't tell him no.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘turn up’.
Phrasal verbs using the verb turn
Looking for tweets for turn up.