from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The point at which a very significant change occurs; a decisive moment.
- n. Mathematics A maximum or minimum point on a curve.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A decisive point at which a significant change or historical event occurs, or at which a decision must be made.
- n. A maximum or minimum on a graph.
- n. A crossroads.
- n. A T-junction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the point upon which a question turns, and which decides a case.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In graphics, a maximum or minimum point on the graph or curve.
- n. The point on which a thing turns; the point at which motion in one direction ceases and that in a contrary or different direction begins; the point at which a decisive change takes place, as from good to bad, from increase to decrease, or the opposite.
- n. In engineering, a temporary bench or bench-mark, the exact elevation of which is determined in leveling before the instrument is advanced, as a starting-point for determining its height after resetting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the intersection of two streets
- n. an event marking a unique or important historical change of course or one on which important developments depend
Sorry, no etymologies found.