from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To cast about; make a circuit; travel around (a place).
- v. To consider, ponder.
- v. To hunt, search for the spoor, explore, seek, sniff around.
- v. To surround, encircle, beset; umbeset, circle around.
- v. To bind, tie up.
- v. To cast a shadow, cover with a shadow, shade
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To cast about; to consider; to ponder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cast about; make a circuit.
And so when the hind came to the well, for heat she went to soil, and there she lay a great while; and the dog came after, and umbecast about, for she had lost the very perfect feute of the hind.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.