from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. By surprise; unexpectedly: "Sorrow comes to all, and to the young it comes with bittered agony because it takes them unawares” ( Abraham Lincoln).
- adv. Without forethought or plan. See Usage Note at unaware.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. unexpectedly or by surprise
- adv. inadvertently
- adv. without plan or forethought
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Without design or preparation; suddenly; without premeditation, unexpectedly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- While the person is unaware; unexpectedly; without previous knowledge or preparation; suddenly.
- Without premeditated design; inadvertently.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. at a disadvantage
- adv. suddenly and unexpectedly
- adv. without forethought or plan; inadvertently
Sorry, no etymologies found.