from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To release or loosen the clasp of.
- transitive v. To release or loosen from a clasp or an embrace.
- intransitive v. To become unfastened.
- intransitive v. To release or relax a clasp or grasp; let go.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To release the clasp from something
- v. To become unfastened
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To loose the clasp of; to open, as something that is fastened with, or as with, a clasp.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To loosen the clasp of, as a purse or a belt.
- To lay open; reveal; disclose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. release from a clasp
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I helped her unclasp the mirror, her swollen and bruised fingers trying to hold tight.
Jim was not in the mood for any more liquor or food, and simply sat, trying and failing not to clasp and unclasp his hands nervously.
She had been forced to unclasp his hand from her arm in order to dry it, and when she finished, it returned to its old position.
He knows exactly what he needs to do unclasp his seat belt, jump into the back seat, remove the twins from their car seats, and exit the car as quickly as possible, but for some reason, he is unable to do so.
I mean, are they so busy, so rushed, that they can't take ten seconds to unclasp the ankle bracelet before putting on their pantyhose?
In answer, I unclasp my bra, offer myself to his mouth, his tongue, his teeth.
I take a deep breath, unclasp my snowshoes, make it to my feet, and move into the main room.
“There IS something in here,” she insisted as she tried to unclasp it.
I had unconsciously clenched my hands into fists when I felt Alessan's hand unclasp one, his cold fingers lacing into mine.
The hands unclasp, and she folds her arms, as if huddling against a cold wind.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.