American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To supply (furniture) with stuffing, springs, cushions, and covering fabric.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To furnish with hangings, curtains, carpets, and the like, and, by extension, with furniture of different kinds.
- To provide with textile coverings, together with cushions, stuffing, springs, etc., as a chair or sofa.
- Hence To provide with any covering.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To furnish (rooms, carriages, bedsteads, chairs, etc.) with hangings, coverings, cushions, etc.; to adorn with furnishings in cloth, velvet, silk, etc..
- n. obsolete A broker.
- n. obsolete An upholsterer.
- v. provide furniture with padding, springs, webbing, and covers
- Back-formation from upholsterer. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Or for something more comfortable, upholster a small bedroom chair in terry cloth.”
“I would also paint the chairs and maybe get some bright, patterned fabric to upholster the chairs.”
“All I will say is that much as you don't go around carrying change in your vag, you don't upholster a human being.”
“I want a rolling jalopy one that I can paint sparkly lime green and upholster with mexican striped plankets and a solid sunbrella top with 8 inch fringe on the sides ..... yeah, yeah, but we all have our dreams and I usually find a way to make mine come close ....”
“First, I'd like to express my sympathy for whatever embossed little creatures Jaguar uses to upholster the upper deck of this car, the Jaguar XJ Supersport.”
“I can't tolerate those who upholster ANYTHING with McMurphy plaid.”
“That Molly/Lunette chick really needs to get her sorry ass to an upholster and fast. that is one not-so-comfy-looking-couch.”
“The wood is mahogany, and we'd of course re-upholster them said Ginny.”
“Ford also has a penchant for using a fuzzy, weedy lawn-like fabric to upholster the area behind the back-seat headrests.”
“A neighbor -- or, by some accounts, a furniture buyer from Toledo -- suggested that the fledgling furniture designers take their chair indoors and upholster it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘upholster’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
"A new word created by removing an affix from an already existing word, as vacuum clean from vacuum cleaner, or by removing what is mistakenly thought to be an affix, as pea from the earlier Englis...
words I read but don't know
Looking for tweets for upholster.