American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sentimental or humorous greeting card sent to a sweetheart, friend, or family member, for example, on Saint Valentine's Day.
- n. A gift sent as a token of love to one's sweetheart on Saint Valentine's Day.
- n. A person singled out especially as one's sweetheart on Saint Valentine's Day.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sweetheart or choice made On St. Valentine's dav. This name is derived from St. Valentine, to whom February 14th is sacred. It was a very old notion, alluded to by Shakspere, that on this day birds begin to mate: “For this was on seynt Valentines dav, Whan every brid cometh ther to chese his make.”
Chaucer, Parliament of Fowls, 1. 310.
- n. A letter or missive sent by one person to another of the opposite sex on St. Valentine's day; a written or printed or painted missive of an amatory or a satirical kind, generally sent anonymously. The sentimental class are often highly ornamental and expensive productions, usually bearing pretty pictures on the subject of courtship or matrimony; the comic class are generally coarse and vulgar productions, usually with caricatures of the human form depicted on them, and are often meant to reflect on the personal appearance, habits, character, etc., of the recipient.
- n. An expression of affection, especially romantic affection, usually in the form of greeting card, gift, or message given to a person the object of affection, especially on February 14th.
- n. A person to whom a valentine is given or received, especially on February 14th.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A sweetheart chosen on St. Valentine's Day.
- n. A letter containing professions of love, or a missive of a sentimental, comic, or burlesque character, sent on St. Valentine's Day.
- n. a sweetheart chosen to receive a greeting on Saint Valentine's Day
- n. a card sent or given (as to a sweetheart) on Saint Valentine's Day
- From Saint Valentine's Day ("day of celebration of romantic love") (Wiktionary)
- After Saint Valentine. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“From PaidContent, whose coverage of VC is really leading on the more quant soundbite side: Chicago-based RSS metrics firm FeedBurner gets a valentine from the hometown Sun-Times, which, of course, also has to explain what RSS is given the small numbers of actual subscribers or active internet users who even know about RSS or web feeds.”
“I would say that today my valentine is my mother who's waiting to hear this in La Crosse, Wisconsin, at 89 years old.”
“However #13 gets my vote as my valentine is a bird lover.”
“Whatever part, much or little, there may have been in Fitzpiers's so-called valentine to his wife, he felt a delight as of the bursting of spring when her brief reply came.”
“I used to love elementary school when like everyone had to give everyone a valentine, which is so ridiculous because there's no way you feel that great about everyone around you in a class," said Wolk with a laugh.”
“How will those before Jesus 'advent find salvation? sex with your valentine might be a sin, or it might be a holy act that reflects God's love.”
“She told the Tribune the valentine is the biggest she has ever received.”
“Bride refuses to marry married groom girl in a rural Jajpur village stunned everybody when she refused to marry the groom after she discovered that he was already married and sex with your valentine might be a sin, or it might be a holy act that reflects God's love.”
“It was only Ash Wednesday, and Kirby McKenna had already been tempted three sex with your valentine might be a sin, or it might be a holy act that reflects God's love.”
“So celebrating Valentine's Day by presenting a heart shaped box to your valentine is a great idea.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘valentine’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Or honey, or baby, or ...
(A Valentine's Day list.)
All sorts of names or terms for romantic partners: vague, clinical, physical, sleazy, cheesy, co-dependent, demeaning, sarcastic, or the dutifully committed. This is to provide a wide-range of le...
Words that make me feel cozy
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
french words & english ones
des mots franÃ§ais & d'autres anglais
dedicated to my man Steven, without whom i would be addicted to drugs, lying in a gutter, hating myself, or hooking somewhere :)
Looking for tweets for valentine.