American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or practice of cutting into or otherwise injuring living animals, especially for the purpose of scientific research.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Dissection of a living body; the practice of anatomizing alive, or of experimenting upon living animals, for the purpose of investigating some physiological function or pathological process which cannot well be otherwise determined Vivisection strictly includes only cutting operations; but the term is extended to any physiological experimentation upon living animals, as compression of parts by ligatures, subjection of the creature to special conditions of atmospheric pressure, temperature, and food, exhibition of poisons or other drugs, inoculation of disease, etc. Vivisection in competent and humane hands, under proper and reasonable restrictions, is fruitful of good results to the sciences of physiology and pathology.
- n. The action of cutting, surgery or other invasive treatment of a living organism for the purposes of physiological or pathological scientific investigation.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The dissection of an animal while alive, for the purpose of making physiological investigations.
- n. the act of operating on living animals (especially in scientific research)
- Latin vivus alive + English section: compare French vivisection. See vivid, and section (Wiktionary)
- Latin vīvus, alive; see vivify + (dis)section. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In fact, the number of security personnel, members of the media, and casual observers may have surpassed that of actual demonstrators, but more protesters arrived over the next hour, carrying signs with such slogans as “vivisection is scientific fraud” and “we cannot cure humans by torturing animals.””
“The question of vivisection is not agitated here, because it is practised so commonly and with such reckless cruelty by mere medical apprentices, that it is accepted as a thing of course.”
“4 Among the Revolutionists were many surgeons, and in vivisection they attained marvellous proficiency.”
“Health Culture opposes as needless and wasteful of life those research activities known as vivisection, also as contrary to human interest the use of drugs, serums, vaccines and chemicals as medicines or preventives of disease by legal compulsion.”
“I do not know whether you have attended the movement against vivisection, which is becoming lively.”
“This video is part one of a series that will be covering the fraudulent science called vivisection and it's murder of animals and people.”
“tube down the neck flesh pulled back to crawl underneath the skin the corporate death no sentiment the pain sustained at will they preach on high morals lie in this farce called vivisection”
“In some of these, Hastings compares the nature if not the scope of Japanese atrocities to those of the Nazis, who used some similar methods of torture or death, such as vivisection of unanesthetized prisoners.”
“Ladies and gentleman of the audience, I am here to present the controversial topic of vivisection which is also better known as animal testing.”
“Other terms for animal experimentation include 'vivisection', 'animal testing', and 'animal research'.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vivisection’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Names for the next generation of My Little Ponies. Inspired by Star's list.
Bring forth the cathartic illumination on malignant,maniacal,medical,menage a trios and more egotists stymie
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
This has the potential to be the scariest list on Wordie.
Stuff that either rolls off the tongue really well or sounds interesting.
I'll be listing items from my personal collection, but feel free to add whatever you like--I'm sure it will be helpful to know which things I won't want to know.
every potential l..., ubi pus ibi evacua, suppuration, suppurative chola..., nonsuppurative ch..., warm antibody hem..., subarachnoid hemo..., amortization sche..., tire rotation, thunderclap headache, feeding tube, appraised value and 32 more...
of cutting or dividing
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
List of most of the words I've learned
verbs Adj Adv noun
Looking for tweets for vivisection.