from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tribal dance performed before a battle or as a celebration after a victory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ceremonial dance performed before a major battle or after a victory, usually by a tribe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a dance among savages preliminary to going to war. Among the North American Indians, it is begun by some distinguished chief, and whoever joins in it thereby enlists as one of the party engaged in a warlike excursion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dance engaged in by savage tribes before a warlike excursion.
- n. A dance simulating a battle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a ceremonial dance performed before a battle or after a victory
Sorry, no etymologies found.