from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A map or chart depicting the meteorological conditions over a specific geographic area at a specific time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a map that shows the analysis of meteorological quantities at various levels of the atmosphere
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A map or chart showing the principal meteorological elements at a given hour and over an extended region. Such maps usually show the height of the barometer, the temperature of the air, the relative humidity, the state of the weather, and the direction and velocity of the wind. Isobars and isotherms outline the general distribution of temperature and pressure, while shaded areas indicate the sections over which rain has just fallen. Other lines inclose areas where the temperature has fallen or risen markedly. In tabular form are shown changes of pressure and of temperature, maximum and minimum temperatures, and total rain for each weather station since the last issue, usually 12 hours.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A map showing the temperature, pressure, wind, weather, and other meteorological elements over an extensive region, compiled from simultaneous observations at a large number of stations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (meteorology) a map showing the principal meteorological elements at a given time and over an extended region
Sorry, no etymologies found.