from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A worsted fabric with a distinct diagonal rib.
- n. A strong twisted or braided cord sometimes used in making whiplashes.
- n. Catgut.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hard, twisted cord used for making whiplashes.
- n. A type of catgut.
- n. A strong worsted fabric, with a diagonal rib.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of hard-twisted or braided cord, sometimes used for making whiplashes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A weave showing a corded effect or pattern running lengthwise of the fabric.
- n. A strong twisted hempen cord, so called because lashes or snappers of whips are made from it.
- n. A cord or string of catgut.
- n. A seaweed, Chorda filum, having a very long, slender, whip-like frond. See Chorda, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. closely twisted hard cord used for the lashes of whips
- n. a strong worsted or cotton fabric with a diagonal rib
Sorry, no etymologies found.