from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Made of or as flexible as withes; tough.
- adj. Wiry and agile.
- n. A rope or band made of withes.
- n. A long flexible twig, as that of an osier.
- n. A tree or shrub having such twigs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Flexible, like a withe.
- n. The osier willow (Salix viminalis).
- n. A long flexible twig of the osier; a withe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The osier willow (Salix viminalis). See Osier, n. (a).
- n. A withe. See Withe, 1.
- adj. Made of withes; like a withe; flexible and tough; also, abounding in withes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A willow of any species.
- n. A withe; a twig; an osier.
- n. A halter made of withes.
- n. In ceramics, same as twig, 3.
- Made of withes; like a withe; flexible and tough.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. strong flexible twig
withe + -y1. N., from Middle English withye, willow branch, from Old English wīthig, willow; see wei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)