Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A writing-table, especially one in which the whole or a part of the top is sloping, and the space below the top is occupied with drawers, pigeonholes, or shelves: sometimes there is also a raised frame or case of drawers, shelves, or pigeon-holes. Compare writing-table and escritoire.
- n. A portable writing-case, usually made of wood and of moderate size, closing up tightly for security and convenience, and fitted to contain stationery of all sorts, papers on file, writing materials, etc.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a desk with a sloping top for writing upon; also, a case containing writing materials, and used in a similar manner.
- n. a portable case containing writing materials and having a writing surface
- n. a desk for writing (usually with a sloping top)
“Would they have found him in his furnished room, propped up at the jerry-rigged writing desk surrounded by his manuscripts and shelves of silent paperbacks?”
“Holmes ran an analytic eye over the signs of her passage through her parents 'home: The drawer in the small inlaid table near the front door was ajar; the various decorative jars and boxes inhabiting the shelves in the morning room had all been disturbed, as well as the cubby-holes and drawers of her mother's writing desk in the front window.”
“His day entailed drudgery at his writing desk in the countinghouse, attending arrivals and supervising the lading of outgoing vessels, and meeting with vendors and other merchants at the City Tavern, at the India Queen, or at any of a dozen other dens where merchants did their business.”
“Quentin had placed them on his writing desk and lifted the lids to disclose more boxes, tiny caskets for rings and ear-rings, longer cases for bracelets and necklaces.”
“A built-in bunk, a folding washbasin, a small writing desk and chair, a folding camp stool, a locker, some calibrated repeater-instrument dials above the bunk, and that was it.”
“She had a cream-colored vanity with a chair—a throne, really—covered in that same gorgeous rose color, and a curvy-legged writing desk facing rose-curtained windows.”
“We left the plates arranged on my mother's writing desk and went through the kitchen to sit on the stoop, where Holmes lit a pipe and I worked to find a comfortable niche for my kinked spine.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘writing desk’.
A list of desk types, notable and historic desks, and words and phrases pertaining to this useful item of furniture.
Words to do with hotels, inns, resorts, guesthouses ... broad in scope :-)
Looking for tweets for writing desk.