from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The sixth-largest continent, extending west from the Dardanelles, Black Sea, and Ural Mountains. It is technically a vast peninsula of the Eurasian land mass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The westernmost portion of Eurasia, traditionally considered a continent in its own right, located north of Africa, west of Asia and east of the Atlantic Ocean.
- proper n. A political entity; the European Union.
- proper n. International club competitions operated by UEFA, the sport's governing body for Europe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the 2nd smallest continent (actually a vast peninsula of Eurasia); the British use `Europe' to refer to all of the continent except the British Isles
- n. an international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members
- n. the nations of the European continent collectively
EUROPE THIS DECADE: Europe can [and will] become a place where people can and do realize their dreams of justice, fraternity, security, and fulfillment -- i.e. not a land of suspicion and unfriendly compartmentalism as has been the trend for the last half-decade or so.
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 4/5/09: REFLECTIONS ON THE OBAMA TRIP TO EUROPE yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'REFLECTIONS ON THE OBAMA TRIP TO EUROPE'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: Obama\'s trip to Europe appears to be about "rebranding" the product of empire ... the good cowboy, a good listener, replaces the bad cowboy called Bush.
DICK MARTY, COUNCIL OF EUROPE (through translator): There are people in Europe who were kidnapped, deprived of their liberty, transferred to a number of countries with no rights and no assistance.
Neutral or nonaligned nations such as Sweden, Switzerland, Austria, and Spain, though western European in terms of geography, are not usually meant when the term Western Europe is used as the opposite for terms such as Eastern Europe, the Eastern Bloc, or communist Europe.
Europe on our side against France we have now the contest to support _alone_ against her _and almost all Europe_ and nothing prevents the ambitious French Republic from being conquerors of the world but our little Islands and our invincible fleets.
[Footnote 12: See, for example, the map of Europe in early post-glacial times, in James Geikie's _Prehistoric Europe_.]
-- "Not in Europe, my lord," said Anthony Henley, who happened to be near him, "_not in Europe_."
Please visit for full-video: www. dha.com.tr ICELAND VOLCANIC ERUPTION DISRUPTS ISTANBUL FLIGHTS TO EUROPE Flights from Istanbul to the UK and other Europe destinations have been cancelled due to the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland, which mainly caused major disruption at UK airports, and grounded many other European flights After a major disruption in UK flights from İstanbul, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and France have also been added to the list.
EUROPE - is the place for anything to do with Europe.
Eric Katsov StockRing Founder on CNBC EUROPE talking about stocks and mutual funds in USA and Europe and about the World financial crisis