from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A native or inhabitant of Europe.
- n. A person of European descent.
- adj. Of or relating to Europe or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Related to Europe or the European Union.
- n. Person living or originating from Europe.
- n. Person who resides within the European Union.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Europe, or to its inhabitants.
- proper n. A native or an inhabitant of Europe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or relating to or connected with Europe; native to or derived from Europe: as, the European race of men; European plants; European civilization: European news.
- n. A native of Europe; a person born of European parents or belonging to Europe.
- n. More generally, a member of the European race, or of any one of the races of Europe; a person of European descent in any country outside of Europe, as distinguished from the indigenous people of such country.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Europe or the people of Europe
- n. a native or inhabitant of Europe
ROBIN OAKLEY, CNN EUROPEAN POLITICAL EDITOR (voice over): Palestinian gunmen Thursday surrounded the European Union offices in Gaza, firing weapons and demanding an apology for cartoons of the prophet Mohammed which have appeared in European newspapers.
•European stocks down: European shares posted small losses after a raft of American economic indicators failed to hit projected marks.
The best strategy may be to look for the phrase European Union Cosmetics Directive Compliant on any of your daily-use products.
People lied and cheated to get the word European on this square of green paper.
This series was later extended to Europe under the title European Fields.
When I use the term European, I'm not referring to a skin color or a particular genetic structure.
Even as some west Europeans fear the dilution of their elite brand, Europe's evolution is giving the term European a positive meaning.
The label European English identifies those uses of English that are not British, American, Canadian, Australian or any other native variety, but are distinctly European and distinguish European English speakers from speakers of other varieties. (cf. Berns 1995: 7)
Her efforts in helping reform the EU's budget earned her the title European Commissioner of the Year in 2005.
Bernard Guetta, writing recently in Liberation, may have been premature in seeing the formation of what he calls a European shadow cabinet, but with presidential elections in France next year and federal elections in Germany the year after, who knows?