from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A step-by-step problem-solving procedure, especially an established, recursive computational procedure for solving a problem in a finite number of steps.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A precise step-by-step plan for a computational procedure that possibly begins with an input value and yields an output value in a finite number of steps.
- n. Calculation with Arabic numerals; algorism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a precise rule (or set of rules) specifying how to solve some problem; a set of procedures guaranteed to find the solution to a problem.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An erroneous form of algorism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a precise rule (or set of rules) specifying how to solve some problem
They have very intense and high-level discussions about their work with Dad quite often, and the word algorithm features extremely heavily.
The term algorithm simply means a series of steps.
I wonder if the algorithm is a little “loose” to get as many copies out as possible? — melissa
The term algorithm is derived from the name of the Arabic economist, Al-Khowërazmi, who invented them as a way of performing mathematical operations associated with debt and credit.
At Consumer Reports, we’re increasingly encountering the term algorithm in reference to smart appliances: dryers that know when loads are dry, refrigerators that can self-regulate their temperature, and dishwashers that sense when dishes are done.
An evolutionary algorithm is a program, and like all programs, is independent on the substrate.
In any case, an evolutionary algorithm is a model of the behavior of generalized replicators.
The filtering algorithm is mysterious, but you can tweak it by either clicking the little pencil that appears on the right when you hover over an item (you can specify that you would like to see more or fewer items of this type or from this user) or by clicking the "Options for News Feed" link all the way at the bottom of this page.
The really cool thing about this algorithm is that the computers in the network figure this all out themselves, without human intervention.
“The principal datum input to any search algorithm is a description of its search space.”