from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A means or manner of procedure, especially a regular and systematic way of accomplishing something.
- noun Orderly arrangement of parts or steps to accomplish an end.
- noun The procedures and techniques characteristic of a particular discipline or field of knowledge.
- noun A technique of acting in which the actor recalls emotions and reactions from past experience and uses them in identifying with and individualizing the character being portrayed.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Orderly regulation of conduct with a view to the attainment of an end; systematic procedure subservient to the purpose of any business; the use of a complete set of rules for carrying out any plan or project: as, to observe method in business or study; without method success is improbable: in this and the next two senses only in the singular.
- noun A system, or complete set, of rules of procedure for attaining a given end; a short way to a desired result; specifically, in logic, a general plan for setting forth any branch of knowledge whatever; that branch of logic which teaches how to arrange thoughts for investigation or exposition.
- noun Any way or manner of conducting any business.
- noun A plan or system of conduct or action; the way or mode of doing or effecting something: as, a method of instruction; method of classification; the English method of pronunciation.
- noun In music: Manner of performance : technique; style.
- noun A manner or system of teaching.
- noun An instruction-book, systematically arranged.
- noun A method, introduced by Frischen, in duplex telegraphy for eliminating the effect of the transmitted current on the instruments at the transmitting station while leaving them available to record any message received at the same time. See
- noun A method invented by Cauchy of treating the integral calculus. See
- noun A method in which, in analytical geometry, the functions which vanish on straight lines, etc.. are represented by single letters.
- noun In algebra, a method in which, by the aid of umbræ, qualities are written as powers of polynomials.
- noun Compression of the uterus made by the hand of the accoucheur in order to squeeze out the placenta after the birth of the child.
- noun A method of resuscitation, in cases of asphyxia from chloroform or ether, by stroking the lower portion of the chest with the fingers in order to stimulate respiration and the action of the heart.
- noun Induction of general anaesthesia by a mixture of chloroform, ether, and petroleum ether administered by inhalation.
- noun Preparatory cuttings fit the stand for its reproduction by the removal of dead, dying, or defective trees, and prepare the ground for the germination of seeds. A stand in which one or more preparatory cuttings have been made is in the preparatory stage.
- noun Seed cuttings encourage seed production by the further opening of the stand, and admit light in quantity favorable for the development of young growth. A forest in which one or more seed cuttings have been made is in the seedling stage.
- noun Removal cuttings gradually remove the mature stand which would otherwise retard the development of the young trees. A stand in which one or more removal cuttings have been made is in the removal stage.
- noun The final cutting is the last of the removal cuttings, in which all of the old stand still remaining is cut. Also called shelter-wood compartment system, method of successive thinnings, compartment system, and high forest compartment system.
- noun In physical, the method of statistical mechanics in which a great number of systems, similar in nature but differing as to configurations and velocities, are simultaneously considered.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun An orderly procedure or process; regular manner of doing anything; hence, manner; way; mode
- noun Orderly arrangement, elucidation, development, or classification; clear and lucid exhibition; systematic arrangement peculiar to an individual.
- noun (Nat. Hist.) Classification; a mode or system of classifying natural objects according to certain common characteristics
- noun A technique used in acting in which the actor tries to identify with the individual personality of the specific character being portrayed, so as to provide a realistic rendering of the character's role. Also called
the Method, method acting, the Stanislavsky Method or Stanislavsky System.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
processby which a taskis completed; a way of doing something.
- noun A type of
theatricalacting wherein the actor utilizes his personal emotionsfrom personal experience to portraya scripted scene.
- noun programming In object-oriented languages, a
subroutineor functionbelonging to a classor object.
- noun slang
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a way of doing something, especially a systematic way; implies an orderly logical arrangement (usually in steps)
- noun an acting technique introduced by Stanislavsky in which the actor recalls emotions or reactions from his or her own life and uses them to identify with the character being portrayed
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The most simple and reliable method is that of ERNST which is also called the auger-hole method; the principle is as follows:
When food that is being canned is subjected to processing only once, the method is referred to as the _one-period cold-pack method_; but when the food in the jars has not been blanched and cold-dipped and is processed, allowed to stand 24 hours and then processed again, and this operation repeated, it is called the _fractional-sterilization method_.
_Mechanicks_, that I have hitherto propounded to my self, but by a certain method (which I may on some other opportunity explain) I have been able presently to examine the possibility of it; and if so, as easily to excogitate divers wayes of performing it: And indeed it is possible to do as much by _this method_ in _Mechanicks_, as by _Algebra_ can be perform'd in _Geometry_.
An essential part of the whole Lead Without a Title method is to start doing a lot more of what you know you should be doing every day in your work but in the past have just been too timid to do.
My main method is doing Drives, so when it comes to bow hunting, it's quite different.
Another method is the autobiographical method where you project your own experiences into the fictional character, though this is not necessarily one you should use most.
The advantage with this method is the children learn to write while tracing the letters.
Log in to Reply tiki god (UID#1) on September 22nd, 2009 at 8: 45 am this method is actually a proven method of population control.
I guess that's what you call method acting or something.
This method is also browser independant. kazemizuhi